Wednesday, April 04, 2007

Coop

Everyone's talking about the currently-just-proof-of-concept social browser Mozilla Labs is working on. Steve O'Hear on the Social Web has a pretty good take, and asks the obvious question: Where does this leave Flock?

I've been using Flock, the social browser built on Mozilla Forefox, for a few months now and am finding that it has more potential than it has realized. I love being able to use del.icio.us as integrated bookmarks searchable through the search window; I love the Flickr integration; I like (but do not love) the integrated post-to-blog feature (which I'm using right now). On the other hand, so much more social networking integration is possible, and the integration that exists is not entirely smooth. For instance, I sometimes bookmark pages that never show up on del.icio.us, or do so only after a long delay.

So Coop seems like a promising development in that it offers competition in the social browsing arena. On the other hand, I feel a little bad for Flock's backers: Flock has done a lot to advance social browsing, and it looks like they will get the customary thanks that first movers get in the tech arena.


» Firefox exploring social networking features | The Social Web | ZDNet.com

technorati tags:,

Blogged with Flock

2 comments:

Evan Hamilton said...

Hey Clay,

Thanks for the support/kind words. We're excited about some competition to spice things up.

As for your del.icio.us errors, if you have any further info regarding them would you shoot them my way? As far as I know we do not have this bug on file and I'd love to get it fixed.

Flock on,

Evan Hamilton
Flock Community Ambassador

evan at flock dot com

Clay Spinuzzi said...

!!!

Sure, I'll make sure to log a bug report if it happens again. Thanks for the personal note, and best of luck in this competition.