Tuesday, March 15, 2011

An inspiring post about Network and networks

While I was at SXSW, Bill Hart-Davidson tweeted me the link to this fantastic blog post by Michael Wojcik: {n1,n2,n3,…}. If you have any interest in networks - or in Network, my second book, which figures prominently in the post - you should go read it. As I tweeted back to Bill, I agree with about 90% of the post, but I respect all of it.

What's really extraordinary is that this post is not a formal book review or essay - it's a reading response in a graduate class. Bravo.

I love that Wojcik gets my general project, that he finds the strong parts, and that he doesn't pull punches when he finds the simplifications and glosses in my book. That's the mark of someone who is actually engaged with the text. It's flattering: it makes me think that I wrote something worth reading closely. (I also like that he lays into Deleuze and Guattari, but that's another story.)
What's the 10% that I don't agree with? For now, let me just leave you with one clue.

Wojcik's post comes at a good time, since I am thinking about writing an essay on networks anyway. More on that as it evolves. But until then, really, do click through and read his post. And then go write stuff like this.

No comments: