Saturday, January 12, 2008

Popcorn

I was talking with a grad student earlier this week, and he confessed that his leisure time during the break was spent reading over a dozen science fiction and fantasy novels. "They're like popcorn," he said. I agreed, saying that I used to read similarly large numbers of these "popcorn" books.

No longer. Almost all of my reading has to do with my research and/or my field. Of course, that doesn't mean that it's not pleasure reading.

After slogging through a few HCI books recently, I picked up several texts on qualitative research methodology and was surprised at how quickly I went through them -- and how happy I was, simply getting into sweats and reading about research design. I finished two of them in a few hours each and am halfway through a third right now. Readers will see reviews of these soon, I'm sure, but right now I'm having too much fun reading to write about them.

And yes, I know that that's way more geeky than reading a dozen science fiction novels.

Blogged with Flock

No comments: