- Editing existing docs seems fine. Big yellow message at top to let you know you're editing offline.
- Spreadsheets are view-only. (Mentioned in Help.)
- Presentations are greyed out. You can see them in the list, but you can't get to them. (Mentioned in Help.)
- Can insert comments in docs (great for offline grading).
- Cannot create new docs -- that's a real handicap, and I suppose you can leave a few blank docs hanging out there if you absolutely want to compose new things in GDocs. (Mentioned in Help.)
- Once you have edited a doc, in the docs list it says "Edited offline" next to it. Great.
- Can still view by doc type, by folder. Can still assign to folders and remove from folders.
- Can only print via "Printer-Friendly HTML."
- "More actions" only allows "Preview."
- Offline Help available but rudimentary.
- Can delete docs.
- Can sort docs.
On the other hand, GDocs is a good way for students to share their assignments, and I could insert comments even when offline. I also have several manuscripts to edit, so I doubt I would be at a loss for work during short periods.
I'll continue to road-test GDocs over the next few days. If you're doing the same, why don't you drop me a line or write your experience in the comments.
Blogged with the Flock Browser